Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) is hard. If you're reading this blog, you probably already know that. ALM is not primarily about the individual tools (the "trees"), important as they are, it's all about the forest: pushing business management into wider and wider expanses of the development process. Vendors and practitioners have been driving traceability, governance, reporting, and repeatability through their processes for a couple decades, and there's a long way yet to go.
I hope you'll excuse me, then, if I sound a bit of an alarm: as Forrester's Dave West has just pointed out, ALM complexity is exploding in other directions as well. All sorts of other directions:
- Open-source software: everyone's using it (yes, you are!), but how do we manage it?
- Collaborative, partner co-development
- Ownership and licensing in open-source and partner-provided products
- Cloud services: solves so many problems, creates so many more
- Rapidly accelerating pace, demanding true Agile processes
- Integration with partner and open-source systems for development, tracking, and reporting
- Security concerns multiplied by all of the above
What this really means is that the forest just got bigger: even taking into account the whole development and deployment pipeline, you've only covered a small grove inside. The forest now extends to communities, partners, outside hosting facilities, and government regulators. Your traceability needs extend outside your tools, outside your work group, and even outside your company. And like the folks in the Forrester report,your attention is likely shifting from the hard internal problems you had almost mastered, to the sweep of new problems you're only just beginning to tackle.
CollabNet has been doing open-source, collaborative, distributed, secure, cloud-hosted development for a decade:
- We're open-source to the heart, initiators and stewards of the Subversion project, one of the most successful open-source projects of all time. We know how to create it, how to use it, how to give back, and how to track it.
- We've enabled secure, flexible partner collaboration from the beginning — it's even in our name!
- Along with industry-leading partners like Black Duck Software, we've been ensuring intellectual property protections for years.
- We provide cloud-hosted ALM services to some of the largest companies in the world, and private-cloud products for everything up to the US Department of Defense's Forge.Mil installation.
- Our ScrumWorks Pro product and Certified Scrum Training lead the industry.
- We have extensive integration facilities via the CollabNet Integration Framework, proven by connections to critical process components like HP Quality Center.
- We've been securing our customer data, in our data center and theirs, for ten years.
So, if you're feeling a little lost in the woods, it's understandable. But welcome to the newer, larger forest. We've been here a while, this is our home. Let us show you around!
(Update: corrected some links.)