Today, we are pleased to announce that CollabNet has release TeamForge 8.0, which includes a major set of enhancements to our flagship platform. TeamForge 8.0 includes a new modern user interface that simplifies and streamlines user workflow, and offers enhanced planning, visibility and reporting for increasingly complex software development environments. Enterprises can now easily adopt, manage and govern many of the leading open-source tools in use today, including Git/Gerrit, Binary Artifact Management, Test Management, Nexus and Review Board.
TeamForge 8.0 is geared at helping companies speed application delivery while improving software and delivery quality at the same time. It was in part built to address the shortcomings in the way companies perform agile development today, and to address 2 major trends in the way enterprise are now seeking to employ agile practices.
The first wave of agile practices over the past few years was primarily focused on agile planning and task management (e.g., how to project manage rapid sprints and iterations). This agile planning activity has largely been disconnected from the subsequent software development and delivery (i.e., continuous build, test and release) processes. Today, the first industry trend is to speed application development and delivery by connecting the upfront agile planning processes with the following software development and delivery tools and processes. For that, an integrated platform which encompasses tools across the application lifecycle such as CollabNet TeamForge 8.0 has become necessary to provide traceability from requirements through to deployment, while enabling workgroup collaboration among both development and operations personnel.
In addition, first wave agile both tools and training largely focused on changes on work *activity* in individual agile workgroup teams focused on the business objectives of their team. The second industry trend is the need to shift from agile software development in the workgroup to scaled enterprise agility. In other words, scale agile across the enterprise with reuse of process across workgroups, along with a corresponding focus on *organizational output*, e.g., compliance, enterprise architecture, and significantly reduced infrastructure cost. Tools such as CollabNet TeamForge 8.0 enables agile to scale as it i) allows organizations to replicate their agile tool chains and processes by utilizing repeatable templates to repeat individual workgroup best practices across the company in a secure and governed way, and ii) offers a Collaboration Architecture by making it easy for workgroup to collaborate on processes and software IP successes across projects.
Specific enhancements in TeamForge 8.0 geared at this application development and delivery improvement include:
- Enterprise-ready Git Management: Full Git history protection so no data is ever lost as well as significant Gerrit enhancements to allow users to select out-of-the-box workflows to design automatically enforced and audited policies. Read Johannes Nicolai’s blog to learn much more about these new Enterprise Git features.
- Advanced Reporting: Powerful unified reporting that allows organizations to intuitively utilize out-of-the box or customized reports to gain project level as well as organizational-wide insight.
- Intelligent Data Collection & Analytics: Automatic collection of data across its own tool chain or with third party data sources through an open REST-like API.
- Agile Project Teams: Team-level views of releases and project activities that are critical for Agile initiatives that include widely distributed teams.
- Test Management: Integration with Test Link, the leading open-source test management tool to enable the creation of test case trackers associated with requirements, test cases, test plans, tests and builds.
- Binary Repository Management: Extension of its best-in-class traceability features to include binary artifacts. Using Nexus, organizations now have a single point of truth for their deployable binaries with traceability back to upstream requirements, epics and stories, tasks and issues, code, code review, builds, defects and tests.
This robust release was enabled by an increase in the size of our core engineering team, a continued focus on innovation velocity and usability, and our continued leverage of integrating industry’s most disruptive best-in-class open-source tools that organizations already use. By embedding industry’s leading open source ALM point tools into TeamForge combined with our own proprietary functionality, TeamForge future-proofs client decisions and is aimed at addressing the agile and application delivery acceleration trends above.
I’d love to get your feedback as to what you’d like to see next in CollabNet TeamForge. Please visit www.collab.net to learn more.
A free trial copy can be obtained by visiting: http://www.collab.net/
You can also learn more about TeamForge 8.0 by attending one of our upcoming free webinars in your time zone:
Wednesday, 2/25 Sydney: Register
Thursday, 2/26 US: Register
Thursday, 2/26 UK: Register
Friday, 2/27 India: Register
Tuesday, 3/3 US: Register